Little thoughts

Little thoughts: need more sleep! :)

Sunday, August 10, 2014

These past few months I've been mostly making...

This little person!


We're really excited and scared and hopeful and overwhelmed by the whole thing! I've decided that I will try and make some of the soft furnishes for the baby's room but I'm not going to sweat it if I don't get it all done. I'm super busy in work as got a temporary promotion so everything has all come at once as it usually does. 

I'm just moving into my 17th week tomorrow, the baby will be due in January so I've knitted a hat in super soft baby alpaca as it's not hairy so there's no loose fibres to worry about. I'm going on a sock knitting course next month so will be able to put what I've learnt into practice and knit baby socks. I've already taught myself how to knit booties thanks to Ravelry but am still stumped on how to knit a baby cardigan as have no idea how to use circular needles and when I've tried I end up in a mess! The rest of the clothes will be bought because I'm not super woman and I've decided to cut myself some slack. 

As for maternity clothes, thankfully my three sisters had pooled their maternity wear together so my sister and I got to share it as one of my sisters is pregnant too! Our mum is having kittens as were only three months apart for giving birth! Our dad is just keeping calm as usual and making sure we're both getting enough to eat and drink and taking all the right supplements! Even mum was impressed he knew about such things! But back to the clothes, I've yet to make anything for myself, I'm considering a simple jersey dress as it's my new best friend along with leggings and free flowing tops! I know! Leggings! I always swore after being a child in the 90s leggings were firmly going to stay in my past but they are sooooo comfortable as I can pull them up past my bump! 

We won't be finding out the sex of the baby before it's born as think it will spoil some of the magic for us so anything I make will either be in a soft grey or bright colours.  So if anyone has any recommendations of simple maternity wear patterns or simple knitted baby cardigans or anything non gendered I can make then I'd be most grateful. 

16 comments:

  1. huge congratulations! sewing for baby, changing mats!! clothes, you'll be given so many i wouldnt worry too much bout them. bibs, you wont really need for the first 3 months or so. Cuddly knits for wee ones by Catherine Bouquerel is supercute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yeah I've got some oil cloth to make into mats as know I'll need about three. One for downstairs, on for upstairs and one to take out and about. I'll have a look at Catherine Bouquerel. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That's so super awesome. One of the best and easiest things to make are jersey blankets for swaddling the wee one. They're soft and lovely and one way to use up leftovers that are too big to get rid of but not big enough to make something for yourself out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for the tip! I'll see what I've got in my stash.

      Delete
  4. fabric and towel sandwich with shower curtain in the middle makes a great mat for on top of one of the cold plastic-y ones, specially in january! cold really makes them pee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I'm thinking everything needs to be wipe-able!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Enjoy your pregnancy and I hope everything goes brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! What lovely news. I didn't make any specific maternity patterns but I made a couple of Babydoll dress from the Sew U Stretch Built by Wendy book, which I wore all the time. And bought a lot of stuff from charity shops in a bit of larger size too. What an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll keep an eye out for that book and check my pattern stash. I might just use the top of a Sorbetto and increase the side seams so it's more flow-y...hmmmm...thinking thinking! Thanks for the ideas!

      Delete
  7. Horray for baby making! I've heard from several people that buying things in larger sizes and then tailoring them a bit smaller after pregnancy is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been buying larger sizes, the trend for free form vest tops is serving me well! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  8. This is the most awesome news! Congratulations to y'all!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You lot keep me going with your excitement when I'm feeling worn out and round as a ball! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. How exciting! Congrats again. I posted a lot of baby makes on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/mujerboricua/baby-makes/. I loved the big bottom pants and the bibs by Purl Soho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like Purl Soho too but haven't seen the big bottom pants so will go stalk you on Pinterest! :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment!